Login Register lost password
21 MAR

New Zealand bans military-style guns in wake of Christchurch terror attack

by Metro

New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has announced an immediate ban on sales of military-style semi-automatic and automatic weapons like the ones used in the attacks on two mosques in Christchurch that killed 50 worshippers.

She said: Every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned.

Ms Arderns announcement comes less than a week after the killings, as more of the dead were being buried.

This image taken from the alleged shooter???s video, which was filmed Friday, March 15, 2019, shows a gun in his vehicle in New Zealand. A witness says many people have been killed in a mass shooting at a mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch. Police have not described the scale of the shooting but urged people to stay indoors. (AP Photo) / re: Christchurch New Zealand - 15 March 2019 - Brenton Tarrant carried out shootings at Al Noor mosque. Four people are in custody following shootings at two mosques in the city. Police confirmed dozens of people were killed in the attack. The deaths occurred at Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Masjid in Christchurch.
Military-style guns similar to those used by Brenton Tarrant have been banned in New Zealand (Picture: AP)

At least six funerals took place on Thursday, including for a teenager and a youth football coach.

Cashmere High School student Sayyad Ahmad Milne, 14, was known as an outgoing boy and the schools futsal goalkeeper.

Tariq Rashid Omar, 24, graduated from the same school, played football in the summer and was a beloved coach of several youth teams.

In a post on Facebook, Christchurch United Football Club academy director Colin Williamson described Omar as a beautiful human being with a tremendous heart and love for coaching.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Linda Armstrong, 64, a third-generation New Zealander who converted to Islam in her 50s, was also buried, as were Hussein Mohamed Khalil Moustafa, 70, Matiullah Safi, 55, and Haji Mohammed Daoud Nabi.

TOPSHOT - Floral tributes to those who were gunned down at the two mosques are seen against a wall bordering the Botanical Garden in Christchurch on March 19, 2019. - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed never to utter the name of the twin-mosque gunman as she opened a sombre session of parliament with an evocative "as salaam alaikum" message of peace to Muslims. (Photo by Marty MELVILLE / AFP)MARTY MELVILLE/AFP/Getty Images
The countrys Prime Minister made the announcement as the country continues to mourn (Picture: AFP)
TOPSHOT - Mourners carry the coffin of a victim killed in the March 15 twin mosque massacre during a funeral at the Memorial Park cemetery in Christchurch on March 20, 2019. - Hundreds of mourners gathered in a Christchurch cemetery on March 20 for the first funerals of those killed in the twin mosque massacre as New Zealanders braced for days of emotional farewells following the mass slayings. (Photo by Anthony WALLACE / AFP)ANTHONY WALLACE/AFP/Getty Images
People have started to bury the dead who fell victim to the terror attack (Picture: AFP)

Families of those killed had been awaiting word on when they could bury their loved ones.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said all 50 victims had been identified as of Thursday and their families were being notified.

Investigators also were trying to conclude their work at the two mosques.

He said: We are working to restore them in a way that is absolutely respectful.

Islamic tradition calls for bodies to be cleansed and buried as soon as possible. Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, has been charged with murder.

He is next scheduled to appear in court on April 5.

Meanwhile, preparations were under way for a massive Friday prayer service to be led by the imam of one of the two New Zealand mosques where worshippers were killed.

TOPSHOT - Flowers left by residents are seen at a memorial site for victims of the Christchurch mosque attacks at an Islamic Center in Kilbirnie, Wellington on March 19, 2019. - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed never to utter the name of the twin-mosque gunman as she opened a sombre session of parliament with an evocative "as salaam alaikum" message of peace to Muslims. (Photo by Dave Lintott / AFP)DAVE LINTOTT/AFP/Getty Images
A huge sea of flowers at one of the two mosques that was attacked (Picture: AFP)

Imam Gamal Fouda said he is expecting 3,000 to 4,000 people at Fridays prayer service, including many who have come from abroad.

He expects it will take place in Hagley Park, a city landmark across from Al Noor mosque with members of the Linwood mosque also attending.

Al Noor workers have been trying to repair the destruction at the mosque, Mr Fouda said.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Mr Fouda said that he expects the mosque to be ready to open again by next week and that some skilled workers had offered their services for free.

The support we have been getting from New Zealand and the community has been amazing, he said.

Ms Ardern also said she and the Cabinet would work through legal exemptions to the ban, such as for farmers needing to cull their herds but said any exemptions would be tightly regulated.

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND - MARCH 19: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern embraces a woman who attended the House session at Parliament on March 19, 2019 in Wellington, New Zealand. 50 people were killed, and dozens are still injured in hospital after a gunman opened fire on two Christchurch mosques on Friday, 15 March. The accused attacker, 28-year-old Australian, Brenton Tarrant, has been charged with murder and remanded in custody until April 5. The attack is the worst mass shooting in New Zealand's history. (Photo by Mark Tantrum/Getty Images)
At least six funerals took place on Thursday, including for a teenager and a youth football coach (Picture: Getty)

For other dealers, sales should essentially now cease. My expectation is that these weapons will now be returned to your suppliers and never enter into the New Zealand market again, she said.

One of New Zealands largest gun retailers, Hunting & Fishing New Zealand, said it supports any government measure to permanently ban such weapons.

While we have sold them in the past to a small number of customers, last weeks events have forced a reconsideration that has led us to believe such weapons of war have no place in our business – or our country, chief executive Darren Jacobs said in a statement.

Regardless of the ban, the company would no longer stock any assault-style firearms of any category and would also stop selling firearms online, he said.

Polly Collins, 64, of Christchurch, was thrilled to hear of Ms Arderns announcement as she visited a flower memorial for the victims.

She said: The prime minister is amazing. Its not like in America, where they have all these things and then they go “Oh yeah, well deal with the gun laws,” and nothings done.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Original Article

© 2018 News Wire Now